Wednesday 20 April 2011

Task 2: Diary entry

Imagine you are a character living through one of the 20th century Wars. You can be either a civilian or a soldier. (Consider the age, gender, social class, occupation etc of the character.) Write a diary entry from the perspective of this person. 

A day in the life of the lost war

Dear Diary,

World War 2 had erupted for some time now, and since then our country has been suffering consecutive defeats. Yesterday, France  surrendered.

Now, these arrogant German soldiers are pillaging and ransacking our homes like it is nobody's business. Life is tough, danger is abundant, and I just had a narrow shave yesterday......
It was morning. I was at home, preparing a meal for my family in our newly bought flat. The announcement of France's defeat blasted through the radios. Victorious songs in the name of Hitler was played relentlessly.

This was just like a nightmare come true. Could France really have lost to Germany? Weren't we promised that France would crush the pathetic German army?

 Just then, a truck cluttered noisily to my flat and screeched to a halt. Fear engulfed me, what could they possibly want? An eerie silence descended onto the once lively and cheerful flat. All I could here were shouts and commands from the commanders in their gibberish language. German soldiers started alighting from the truck, and in no time, the whole flat was crawling with these pesky insects.     

"Seize them! " shouted one of the commanders.

Finally, I understood something they said, but this was just more bad news. Just then, a blood piercing scream broke the silence in the room.

They were in the flat beside us. Rampant knocking on our door soon followed.  Having no choice, I opened it.

Books, cupboards, shelves and drawers were not spared. Not a stone was left unturned. Worst of all, they had taken my priceless, antique music score which I had treasured so much. Before they left, my mother and I were not spared. We were taken away from our homes.
We were separated, and I was taken to this warehouse, filled with rusty oil barrels, cobwebs and termite infested wooden tables. They tied me to a chair blindfolded me, then asked me to wait. Death seemed inevitable and all I could do was pray for the best.

Time seemed to move so slowly. A minute seemed like eternity. Flashbacks of what I did in the past seemed to whiz pass my brain. I remembered the time when I first picked up my instrument. I remembered the first time I had met her. I remembered the smiles on her when she sat through my first concert. Memories of happiness and joy soon seemed to drift me further and further from this world. A crash suddenly brought me back to the world.

Just then, the smell of buttered escargots drifted to me. Could this be a dream? Escargots is my most favourite food. I opened my mouth, and took a huge bite, but ended up biting my own tongue. Darn, that fragrance was unbearable. How long have I been tied here already?
The dream before the nightmare, I told myself. Footsteps clicked.

My blindfold was taken off. I looked up and to my amazement, a German soldier was actually smiling at me. "Release him!" he ordered.

I found out that it was actually my old friend at the national university. Relief seemed to set itself upon me. I was saved.

It was already night. I chatted with him as him settled a plate of escargots on the table. I told him about the abduction of my mother, but soon found out that she was now safely at home. This was really a blessing in disguise!

It's getting late, that's all for today.

Regards,
Nicholas

No comments:

Post a Comment